Sunday, February 7, 2010

Grade 4: Iditarod, The Alaskan Dog Sled Race


Description: My class is going to be doing a research study to learn about the Iditarod, which is a dog sled race held every year in Alaska and starts on the 1st Saturday in March. I have adapted a list of questions and have a list of research sites for my students to find the answers at that I'm willing to share. As news reporters, the idea is to find out information to convince our parents to take us to Alaska on a vacation to watch the dog sled race. I would like to collaborate with another classroom who would like to have a Quiz bowl to teach my students to research for details.
Dates: One day between March 8 - March 19 agree on time together EST
Sign up method:Email: tlipovsky@farwellschools.net
Grades: 4
Subjects: Language Arts/English, Mathematics, Science (Earth), Social Studies/History
Outcomes:I would like to use this as a research project for Language Arts and also to learn about the regions of the United States.
Preparation Time Frame:45 minutes
Methods and Activities:My idea was that the teacher would ask a question to the other class and if they got it right, they would get a point. If the other class was able to add details not given in the original answer, they would get a point. My secret would be that it would encourage my students to research for more than just the answer but also additional details.
Responsibilities:Students will do all the research with the teacher encouraging the kids to look for details. The teachers will lead the Quiz Bowl.
Agenda:5-10 mins. to test the equipment and to greet each of the classrooms
30 mins. for the Quiz Bowl
5 mins. for a conclusion and to say good-bye
Credit:The original creator of this webquest is given credit on the student handout.
Other:I plan to post the questions on my blog. As the students find research information, they can make a post while getting a chance to read what others have posted and allowing them the opportunity to research for details.

Tammi Lipovsky
tlipovsky@farwellschools.net
9895889916
FARWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL