Monday, March 14, 2011

Grades 11-12: Reading and Discussion of "The Power of Myth" Religion from a Sociology Perspective


Description:My sociology classes (comprised of 11th & 12th graders) will begin reading Joseph Cambell and Bill Moyer's "The Power of Myth" on Monday, May 21st. In our meetings, we will discuss the following themes found in "The Power of Myth":
1) Religiosity - the types of religious attitudes and behavior people display in their everyday lives.
2)Societies distinguishing between the sacred (things and ideas that are set apart and given special meaningthat goes beyond or transcends , immediate existence) and the profane (nonsacred aspects of life).
3) Social Conflict created by religion.
4) The legitimacy and structure that religion is used to create in society.
5) The common thread that follows through out all of the worlds religions and how one religion borrowed from earlier religions.
6)Religious Organizations.

You can read excerpts of an comments on "The Power of Myth" on:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Myth-Joseph-Campbell/dp/0385418868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299855193&sr=8-1
Dates:
Sign up method:Exploding Collaboration
Grades:11, 12, Undergrad
Subjects:Social Studies/History
Methods and Activities:Beginning Tuesday, May 22nd, I would like a partnering school that is able to meet via web conference between 10:20 to 11:50 central standard time. Partnering schools who can not meet at that time, may communicate with my students who have all created blogs (which are linked to my blog mrsstovallsociology.blogspot.com). I can partner your students with my students. If your class wishes to create blogs, I can assist you. I can post video of any live web conferences on my blog. My students all have webcams at home and can have one on one discussions outside of school. I would like the discussions to span from March 23rd to April 8th.


Libbi Stovall
libbistovall@verizon.net
Phone: 972-394-1170
Cell: 214-458-3418
A MACEO SMITH H S