Monday, March 14, 2011

Grades 11-12: Web Conference Discussion about the merits and drawbacks of racially diverse neighborhoods as compared to racialy segregated neighborhoo


Description:My students live in southern part of Dallas,Texas where the neighborhoods are either African American or Hispanic. There are a few white families, but there are no Asians, no Middle Easterners, nor anyone from any other country. I live in a suburb north of Dallas where you can find people from all over the world; there are African American and Hispanic students here as well, but they are well integrated into their neighborhood and school. I would like for my students to compare life in their neighborhood with life in a more culturally diverse neighborhood.

I am open to variations of this project. This is a Sociology class and they chose to discuss Racial Inequalities.
Dates:Tuesday's & Thursdays March 22nd to April 7th, 10:20 to 11:50 central standard time
Sign up method:Exploding Collaboration
Grades:11, 12
Subjects:Social Studies/History
Methods and Activities:Beginning Tuesday, May 22nd, I would like a partnering school that is able to meet via web conference between 10:20 to 11:50 central standard time. Partnering schools who can not meet at that time, may communicate with my students who have all created blogs (which are linked to my blog mrsstovallsociology.blogspot.com). I can partner your students with my students. If your class wishes to create blogs, I can assist you. I can post video of any live web conferences on my blog. My students all have webcams at home and can have one on one discussions outside of school. I would like the discussions to span from March 22nd to April 8th.



Libbi Stovall
libbistovall@verizon.net
Phone: 972-394-1170
Cell: 214-458-3418
A MACEO SMITH H S